Monday, November 14, 2005

Railspotting

I was in Northeast Washington Saturday on a photo commission at the extreme north end of the NoMa Triangle. Since it was such a nice day and since I had my camera with me anyway, I took a few extra minutes to photograph some of the rail infrastructure in that part of town.

Why? You shouldn't have to ask. Anyone who knows me knows I like trains :-)

The full set of 33 pictures is available at BeyondDC, with several highlights below, starting with this picture of the approach to Union Station (I really, really need a polarizing filter, by the way)...


Click any photo to enlarge


This Metro train is pulling into the New York Avenue station


The platform at New York Avenue station


A lone Amtrak engine makes its way to the railyards


Upper level platforms at Union Station


A high-speed Acela train departs for points north


The Brentwood railyards are used by WMATA, Amtrak, MARC, VRE and occasionally the freight lines.


There are 12 trains in this picture. Can you spot them all? Hint: 4 are in active service.


Metro trains


A slow-speed Amtrak train snakes its way through the railyards, with VRE engines in the background



Tags:

7 Comments:

At 8:02 PM, Blogger Cirrus of Malla said...

My, my. Santa is forgetful, isn’t he. *I* remember what size *Santa’s* lens is - it’s 3mm larger than my 55mm. :-)

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger briwei said...

So, how did you get so ood at diital photography? I do all right at it, but nothing quite as good as you. Do you use manual settins on your digital?

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Cirrus of Malla said...

Thanks for the kind words. Good for my ego :-)

I take a lot of pictures, and y’know, practice makes closer to perfect. And yes, sometimes I use the manual settings... But your engineer mind deceives you. It’s less about the camera settings than the composition - how the subject is framed.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger briwei said...

Damn engineer mind! ;-)

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Richard Layman said...

Thank you as always for your great documentation and your help last weekend.

 
At 3:32 AM, Blogger Cirrus of Malla said...

No problem.

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Happy Birthday, Mom! said...

That's my work-hood!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home