Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Killing you softly

A recent story that’s been making waves in Canada reminds me about one of the great myths in American society today – that suburbs are a safe, healthy place to live. The myth was not always so – 150 years ago in the midst of the industrial revolution the first suburbs, small towns located along railroads, were indeed safer, cleaner and more idyllic than the polluted cities, but times change and today the cities are neither as dangerous nor the suburbs as safe as they were 100 or even 50 years ago. Regrettably, it has been so many generations since suburbs came into being that Americans now take for granted that they represent the ultimate achievement in living the good life. Most simply never think to question the conventional wisdom.

The facts, however, speak to a different reality, as a number of studies since the turn of the millennium have shown. One determined that living in the suburbs makes you fat. Another showed that although crime is indeed slightly higher in urban areas (though not as much as you may think), the incidence of car accidents is so overwhelmingly higher in the suburbs that cities are safer. Another showed that suburban teens are more likely to engage in high-risk behaviors than inner city teens. Yet another has shown that pollution from car exhaust not only aggravates pre-existing conditions, but is itself a major cause of asthma. Connections have also been found between suburbs and problems such as high blood pressure, arthritis and headaches. And then of course there are the whole global warming and dying in a war things, but we won't talk about those today.

In all cases the questions being asked call for additional scrutiny and it would be disingenuous for me to suggest the book is shut on any of them, but even if the findings are perhaps not quite as simple as I’ve made them out to be here, there is clearly a mountain of evidence piling up that Americans should at least be thinking about where they live, rather than going on faith alone.

Tags:

9 Comments:

At 12:47 PM, Blogger briwei said...

Ah-ha! So, all my troubles are the suburbs fault. Can you sue the suburbs?

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Cirrus of Malla said...

Hm. Do you think they’re responsible for Karma? I bet we could find a connection if we looked hard enough.

No but seriously. The point is just don’t take things for granted. Obviously simply living in the suburbs doesn't make you fat or your children criminals. But anyone who thinks living there shields you from life's problems is mistaken. Yes, there remain some good reasons to live there (schools being foremost among them), but many of the rationales frequently cited are simply not true.

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger briwei said...

Good reality check, Dan. I got the point and was just trying to be funny. Went over about as well as my innkeeper joke at the Colorado Christmas ~12 years ago.

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger Cirrus of Malla said...

I wasn't sure. So I led w/ the Karma thing...

Anyway, gonna have to refresh my memory on that one. I vaguely remember visiting Monee in the hospital and recall everything from Oakley like it was yesterday, but the rest of that trip? Nothin'. Like it didn't happen.

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger briwei said...

Whereas I've been scarred by it for years. ;-)

Remember, we Jews aren't used to people re-enacting the nativity on Christmas Eve. Nor of having families that always seem to have an infant for it.

There was a little too much "In Jesus' name" and I was trying not to be involved. They wanted me to be Joseph and your sister to be Mary. We got Bo to be Joseph and he declared he was just going to draw a J on his forehead as his costume. I saw an opening. "Yeah. We'll make it an interpretive piece. I can be the desert wind." I mimed swooshing across the room. Everyone looked at me like I had two heads. Well, except Joe, who laughed. The planning continued. More parts were doled out. They were still trying to get me involved. I had another ill-conceived idea. "I know! I'll be the innkeeper next store," I said. I demonstrated with a Jackie Mason accent, "Keep down that racket out there! Were you born in a barn or something? Jesus Christ!" Again, nobody laughed but Joe. In the end, I decided to be the stage manager. My job was to fly in the baby Jesus.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Cirrus of Malla said...

lol. Oh dear. I had forgotten about the annual Frye Christmas nativity recreation. Since they made me be Santa Clause one year in college I can hardly remember any of the other ritual customs.

I wonder how many of them had never even met a Jew before you. And I wonder how many of them thought giving you a roll in the production would “set you down the path to being saved”.

Saved. That was a great flick.

OK I’m done now. :)

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger briwei said...

Heh. Daniel Claus. I like it. Yeah, I wonder how many people hoped I'd be saved. Instead, I drew your righteous sister down the path of sin and wickedness.

The other one that sticks in my memory is when Grandmother told L that she didn't mind that I was Jewish, it's just that I was practicing. LOL!

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Cirrus of Malla said...

It was big enough scandal when Mom married Dad. A Catholic? Oh no! Little did they know what lay ahead...

But let's be fair here. When was L ever righteous? :)

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger briwei said...

Ummmmmmm....hold on....it'll come to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home