Friday, November 11, 2005

The curse of… not being cursed?

Finally, a month after the season ended, I think I’ve figured out how the Washington Nationals sunk from being one of baseball’s best teams at the All Star break to barely .500 at the end of the year. My theory? They’re not cursed. In fact they’re so not cursed they’re actually blessed. What rotten luck!

Bear with me here. In 2003 the long-suffering Chicago Cubs were five outs away from reaching the World Series. In 2004 the Boston Red Sox ended the 86-year-long Curse of the Bambino and won it. Then in 2005 the Chicago White Sox similarly put a stop to their own 88-year drought.

From this I conclude two things. First, the apocalypse is upon us (thank goodness for Steve Bartman, who may have saved the world), and second, that the gods of baseball favor cursed teams in this new millennium.

So how does this all affect the Nationals? Check out this article about the Dalai Lama’s recent visit to the District. See anything suspicious? Let me help you out.

The Dalai Lama
Look at the hat

The Dalai Lama is a Nats fan! How can we expect to win in this climate with support like that? Does anyone know any VooDoo witch doctors? I’m thinking maybe one of those could counter the good vibes being sent by his holiness.

Tags:

2 Comments:

At 4:34 PM, Blogger briwei said...

So are you saying that you'll feel better if the Yankees win it all next year and restore order to the universe?

TheRed Sox thing is already looking like it was a one shot. They are ready to return to their ignoniny as evidenced by their offseason thus far.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Cirrus of Malla said...

Yankees win? Well I'm not sure about that. But I'd sure feel better if Montrealers were a little more hostile about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home