Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Oh you were lying, well that’s OK then… or not

How is Supreme Court justice nominee Samuel Alito defending his 1985 letter describing his belief that abortion is not constitutionally protected? By explaining that he “was an advocate seeking a job, it was a political job, and that was [the Reagan administration].”

Oooooh.

So you were lying for the benefit of a potential employer in order to make your application appear more attractive.

I see.

And I suppose there’s no possibility you could be doing that now?

Sorry, Mr. Alito, but that is an unacceptable answer. Regardless of your views on abortion, lying on your resume is not appropriate behavior for a potential Supreme Court justice. Your hole is now deeper than it was before.

Tags:

1 Comments:

At 10:19 AM, Blogger briwei said...

Heh. That's right. Lying to get a job is protected by the Constitution.

See, the problem I have with the other part of the excuse is that his previous decisions all strictly followed precedent. He enorced the law in spite of his personal views. This does not hold water for me because as a SCJ he would be responsible for making precdent. What's to stop him from getting to the SCOTUS and saying, "I've reviewed the arguments and the case law and now realize Roe was wrongly decided." i.e. "I changed my mind again."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home