Friday, August 25, 2006

Break a leg, Conan


The Shat's need for recognition is insatiable
The Emmy Awards are this Sunday. I haven't watched any miniseries or much drama this year except for The West Wing, which was solid but unextraordinary, so I'll stay away from those subjects, but here are my thoughts on some of the others:

Best Comedy Series: I can't stand “comedy” that's just people being stupid, so scratch Arrested Development, and I didn't see much of Curb Your Enthusiasm. That leaves Two And A Half Men , which is cute but not particularly special, Scrubs and The Office. The presence of those two though make this a strong category. Either deserves to win, but painful as it may be for me to vote against a show I think is one of the best in recent memory, Scrubs just didn't have as good a season as The Office.

Lead Actor in a Comedy: Curb Your Enthusiasm and Monk are off my radar. Charlie Sheen's schlock on Two And A Half Men is tired and boring, and Kevin James has never been funny on the show that wouldn't die, The King Of Queens. Steve Carell, on the other hand, got us to sympathize with the boss from hell on The Office and deserves the win.

Lead Actress in a Comedy: I missed out on Lisa Kudrow in The Comeback. Will & Grace and Malcolm In The Middle lost their relevance years ago. Although Stockard Channing's bit on Out Of Practice was cute, it was basically one joke stretched way too far. That leaves Julia Louis-Dreyfus, who gets points anyway for breaking the Seinfeld curse with her show, The New Adventures Of Old Christine.

Supporting Actor in a Comedy: Despite what I said earlier about the show not being that great, Jon Cryer is the heart and soul of Two And A Half Men. He ought to win.

Supporting Actress in a Comedy: Jaime Pressly's role on My Name Is Earl is perfect. It's iconic and hilarious. No other choice will do.

Writing for a Comedy Series: Give it to My Name Is Earl for a fun and unique new premise.

Best Reality Program: I realize I'm fighting a losing battle with this one, but would this genre please just go away? Survivor and American Idol were neat when they were fresh ideas, but that was like a million years ago. I'm bored.

Best Variety or Music Series: I hear Real Time With Bill Maher is good, but haven't seen it. Letterman lost his edge ages ago. I'd be happy with any of the other three choices, though. The Colbert Report, The Daily Show and Conan are all worthy winners. If I have to pick I'll go with Colbert to beat out a weak season of Stewart.

Writing for a Variety or Music Program: It's all the same candidates as Best Variety Program. I'll give this one to Stewart though. The season was a little off because of all the new faces, but the writing was as sharp as ever.

Individual Performance in a Variety Program: Stephen Colbert must win this category.

Tags:

4 Comments:

At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you even seen Arrested Development? Based on what I've read of your posts and the fact that you like The Office so much, I would think AD would be a fave. I'm so disappointed! I think AD is one of the smartest shows ever written. Give it a chance--get season 1 on DVD. (And no, I don't work for the distribution company....)

-jen

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger briwei said...

I can't even bring myself to care about any of this. I don't think I've seen more than a handful of episodes of any of the nominees.

 
At 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched several eps of AD and except for the pilot, found it painfully unfunny. I can suspend my disbelief for things like science fiction & fantasy, but when entire shows are built around people acting too stupid for real life I get bored fast.

The difference with The Office is twofold:

1) On AD all the characters are unbelievably dumb except one. On Office all the characters are reasonable except one, maybe two.

2) The one unbelievably dumb character on Office manages to do it in a sympathetic way, while the many dumb characters on AD make me want to stab puppies.

I appreciate that AD tried to do something different. In that sense it was better than more King of Queens or Everybody Loves Raymond schlock. Experimentation is a good thing. But unfortunately, "different" and "funny" are not synonyms, so ultimately AD was a failure.

 
At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm glad you stopped watching, then, so that no puppies had to suffer! I guess I'll keep reading your blog since you knew to stop yourself. I still like it. :)

-j

 

Post a Comment

<< Home